You have learned about the elements of the crime of burglary. This assignment is designed to expand on two scenarios by having you apply that knowledge as if you were the investigator.
Two burglaries have occurred in Centervale. You, as Detective Emily Watson, are given the assignment to solve these two burglaries.
Residential Burglary 1: The point of entry is the rear door, which is pried open. The office and the master bedroom are ransacked. Money from a safe in the office and jewelry from the bedroom are reported missing. There appear to be glove marks present but no latent fingerprints.
Residential Burglary 2: A broken window is the apparent point of entry. There appears to be a latent fingerprint on the outside of the window but no other identifiable latent evidence. The kitchen and adjacent office seem to be the only areas searched. Money that was kept in a cookie jar is reported to be missing.
Create a 400 to 500-word, double-spaced paper. Use Times New Roman, 12-point font. In your paper, include citations of the references you use in the APA style and answers to the following questions:
- What are the main elements in the crime of burglary?
- What are the differences between the two burglaries?
- What are the possible types of physical evidence at each crime scene?
- How would you document, collect, and package these items of evidence for preservation and future analysis?
- What is the modus operandi of each crime?
- Could the same suspect have committed both crimes? Why or why not?