Different cultures conceptualize and measure components of intelligence in various ways. Some cultures value a person’s ability to quickly process and respond to information. Other cultures may value one’s ability to consult with members of the same culture who have more life experience in order to solve problems. Still, other cultures value creativity, formal education, and literacy as a basis of intelligence. With so many variations in cultural beliefs, how do researchers ensure accurate measurements of intelligence among different cultures? For example, can standardized tests of intellectual ability from a Western culture adequately and appropriately measure the intelligence valued by Kpelle farmers in Liberia?
For this Assignment, consider how cultures interpret intelligence differently. Reflect on how various cultures measure intelligence. Use your Final Project culture of interest and, in addition, select another culture that defines intelligence differently. Consider how you might test different cognitive abilities (e.g., memory, organization, and visualization) in each of these two different cultures.
The Assignment (4–5 pages)
- Describe the two cultures (South African and Arabic Cultures please) you selected and compare how each culture perceives intelligence.
- Explain three cultural factors that might influence how intelligence is perceived in each culture you selected.
- Explain how you might measure intelligence in each culture and why you selected this method.
- Support your responses using the Learning Resources and the current literature.
Attend an open event(make it up) in your community related to a diverse social identity (gender identity/expression, race/ethnicity, class, religion, ability, sexual orientation, national origin, or age). Then, create a PPT presentation.
Submit, a 10 minute recorded PowerPoint presentation and transcript of presentation. In the PPT presentation, address the following prompts:
- Describe the cultural event in which you participated.
- Explain how this experience influenced your perceptions of diversity and difference.
- Analyze at least 3 key concepts from this course in relation to this experience.
- Define what it means to you to engage with diversity and difference in practice.
- Describe two challenges associated with discussing and reflecting on diversity related content.
- Describe one strategy to address these challenges.
- Identify one positive emotion and one negative emotion that surfaced during the past 10 weeks of the course.
- Describe one strategy to address the negative emotion in order to continue developing cultural awareness.
- Explain specific steps that you will take to advance human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice based on what you have learned in this course.
This should be 4-6 pages long, double-spaced, 12pt font (arial or times new roman), with 1″ margins.
Choosing a Current Event. A current event refers to something that is happening in the world at present and they are usually described on the news and in mass media. You must choose a report (written, from the radio, or televised) of an event that has been reported on within 3 months of the assignment deadline. Remember, the event you choose must have some relevance to the study of society, and you must properly cite the source from which you got your report.
Describe the Current Event. Second, you will need to provide a brief summary of the current event. This should include details such as location, timing (i.e is this an ongoing event, does it appear to be a one time event, is this an example of an event that happens frequently), people involved, and any analysis offered by the report(er).
Analyzing the Current Event. The final step in the process is conducting an analysis of the current event using knowledge you have gained from the course to-date. The most important thing here is that the analysis should not just be your opinion about the current event, but grounded in sociological theory and prior research. You will need to use at least 4 sociological concepts covered in this course to analyze the current event (i.e. social construction, stratification, social control, crime, deviance). (hint: sociological concepts should be clearly identified, defined and then applied; any paraphrasing or direct quotes used from another source should include APA formatted in-text citations and a full citation at the end of the essay).
Some social scientists discuss the fact that the elderly live in a “shrinking world.” Discuss the ways in which the world of the elderly shrinks. Examples might include retirement, divorce, being widowed, death of friends, loss of hearing and vision, inability to drive, and a decline of physical vigor.
250 word minimum, 10 points
How much of the problems related to environmental concerns are based on social structures of society, on businesses that dominate our economic system, and on members of society whose beliefs, values, and norms are not sympathetic to making social change in their lifestyles? What effect will underdeveloped nations have on the world’s environment if they develop their economies and enjoy a burgeoning middle class like those of developed nations? Should anything be done about this?
What consequences has the belief of individualism brought to bear on the environment in general? Do people have the right to do whatever they want to the Earth?
250 word minimum, 10 points
Watch the following Ted Talks given by Johan Rockstrom and James Hansen and answer the corresponding questions.
1. Johan Rockstrom: https://www.ted.com/talks/johan_rockstrom_let_the_environment_guide_our_development
- What does Johan Rockstrom mean when he argues that we should “let the environment guide our development”? Be sure to incorporate answers to the following questions in your memo:
- Who is Johan Rockstrom?
- Why is the Holocene important in the history of human development?
- What is the “quadruple squeeze”?
- What is the Anthropocene?
- What’s the difference between linear and non-linear systems?
- What are our planetary boundaries? Why are they important?
2. James Hansen: https://www.ted.com/talks/james_hansen_why_i_must_speak_out_about_climate_change
- Why did James Hansen decide he needed to speak out about climate change? Be sure to incorporate answers to the following questions in your memo:
- What is the energy imbalance and why is it important?
- How much excess energy is Earth absorbing?
- What are amplifying feedbacks?
- Are there good options for a safe ecological future? If so, what are they?
500 word minimum, 20 points